Jun 6, 2012

Accidental Hike...

 

Last week while my mother was visiting we turned a picnic to Point Pinole Regional Shoreline into an accidental 4 mile hike.  I'm still getting myself familiar with the park system here.  I knew I wanted to visit this park, and some part of me knew that there was a park that involved a shuttle ride, or a 2 mile hike to the pier, I just didn't put two and two together.  All unpreparedness aside, this was a glorious picnic.  

"... trails lead through breezy meadows with wildflowers in season, ..."

" ...through aromatic eucalyptus woods, ..."

"...or along bluffs and beaches on San Pablo Bay.""


The park has a long history.  This area has been used as a war time bunker, home to a dynamite manufacturer, a Chinese fishing village, and a  steel company.


Today there's a quarter mile long pier to fish from.  (or run and climb on, which ever.)

The park is home to a large variety of wildlife.  Over 100 species of birds can be found here, and next time we'll bring along a good bird book, and this handy list.

We had a lot of fun watching the birds, bees, and checking out the huge jellyfish that were on the shore under the dock.
 



 



 This park has so much to see, we will definitely be returning soon.  Between the 4 seasons, the 12 miles of trails, and the 2,315 acres, I believe many more trips are in our future.


No comments:

About Me

My photo
East Bay, California, United States
I am a thirty something mother of three. Hoping to raise my little ones to love the the slower things in life.