Mar 18, 2011

V Week wrap up.....

This week in our school...

We covered the letter V


In Poetry we...
Read the Song of the Vetch Fairy by Cicely Mary Barker.  Ava thought the Vetch fairy seems very kind.  We continued with our month poem, The Robin, by Barbara Juster Esbensen.




Our theme for the week...
was supposed to be St Patrick's Day.  However, I had a little bit of a kerfluckle with my library hold list (and sick babies) and ended up NO books for my theme.  Alright, I can be flexible.  Our new theme became... Go outside.  And so we did.


In Math we...
~enforced building 10s and 1s
~build 200 with tiles
~build 10 hundred by stacking hundred-bead squares
~played lots and lots of Go to the Dump, a math game

In Science...
At last week's wrap up I thought I was going to continue with the theme of categories, but over the weekend we played some memory games using categories to help retain more information and then it just clicked for her.  She got categories, you could see it in her eyes. 
This week we worked with recognizing states of matter, Solids, Liquids, Gases, and how they can change.  I was surprised to see how quickly she grasped these concepts.  I don't know why she is always so amazing to me.  I just LOVE homeschool.
In Art study...

we explored The Canoe of Fate by Roy Deforest.  What a lively picture!  Ava liked the use of colors and dots, and described the painting as loud, intense, and busy.  I couldn't agree more.



With the start of the week bringing me three babies with fevers I was ready to call the whole week a wash.  I was proven wrong by my healthy and resilient children.  They bounced back, and we didn't miss a day.  It was a good week, even if Ava and I are counting the days till our spring break...

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Looks like a lot of learning went on this week! Fun learning.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Bay, California, United States
I am a thirty something mother of three. Hoping to raise my little ones to love the the slower things in life.