Jan 27, 2011

D, J, and H review wrap up...

We reviewed the letters D, J, and H this week...

                 


             

In math we introduced the term less and estimate, arranged objects in groups of 10,  learned the value of a dime, built reflections and copies of structures.  



We explored Hibernation.  We read ~ Hibernation, by Margaret Hall ~ Animals Hibernating, by Pamela Hickman ~ and on of my most favorite stories ever... Sleepy Bears, by Mem Fox

Inspired by Sleepy Bears, and these beautiful "tiles" that Ava made me, we created paper quilts...



We finally got around to making ice wreaths! (ice muffins in our case)  I have been looking forward to this for years.  We used this activity as an opportunity to say goodbye to Winter.  Like it or not, its getting warm here in Arizona.  So we will embrace this weather while we watch our little icy ornaments melt away.

(I loved these SO much, that I've decided to dedicate a whole post to these little beauties later!)

Using Nature in a Nutshell by Jean Potter we experimented with 'blubber' and its effects on keeping animals warm in icy temperatures...


This week was actually a week and a half long (illness messes with plans that way) so we had plenty of time for two art studies this week...

Albrecht Durer, Saint Eustace was not that interesting to Ava at first glance.  She told me it was hard to look at because there wasn't enough color.  After some time talking about all the tiny details (castle in background) she decided that the picture was fascinating, behind the 'skinny dogs' that is.

 

When we talked about George Stubbs The Grosvenor Hunt, it was the first time we ever discussed the idea of  hunting as a sport.  She thought hunting meant to look for things.  (oops)  After we got past the subject matter of the painting she decided that the real beauty was found int he open spaces, and small roads in the background.  I can see what she means.

As the month wraps up, so does our time with Snow Clown, by Barbara Juster Esbensen.  Starting in February I will have Ava choose our next poem she is to memorize.  I wanted Robert Frost, but I just can't see us talking about a Snowy Evening while the weather is so warm.... 

Until Next week...

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

What a beautiful week! Days to cherish.

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Love that photo through the red plexi glass- so beautiful.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Bay, California, United States
I am a thirty something mother of three. Hoping to raise my little ones to love the the slower things in life.