Apr 8, 2011

Z week wrap up....

This week in our school we....

We learned the letter Z...

In poetry we started a new 'poem of the month' When all the world's asleep, by Anita E. Posey, found in this collection of poems put together by Jack Prelutsky.  We also read the Song of the Zinnia Fairy by Cicely Mary Barker . 


Our theme for the week...
was Lambs and Bunnies.  Its seemed a fitting theme to start our Spring with.  We read Bunny's Noisy book, by Margret Wise Brown.  This book may be overly simple, but I LOVE it.  I have a soft spot for Lisa Mcue, she illustrates the sweetest little flower and animal scenes, and has long been a favorite of mine.  Also from our personal collection was The Little Lamb, and The Little Rabbit, both photographed by Phoebe Dunn, and both are extremely popular in my house.  It was our second time this school year with  Pelle's New Suit, by Elsa Beskow, however the story is just so perfect I find myself looking for reasons to read it!  For non fiction reading this week we skimmed through a very informative book Great Pets, Rabbits, by Ruth Bjorklund.  This book made me want a bunny or two.  Seriously, they are so adorable!!


 We were faced with some AMAZING weather (we had rain!!!!) this week, so that kept us from getting to most of our art projects.  We did find time to make tissue paper collages to decorate our workbooks.  They turned out so lovely.  We had a really good time with these.  I regret that I that I didn't take photos of the finished products.


In Math we learned...
~ to add 10s and 1s in problems, and written equations
~ to count by 10s and 1s
~ to make a chart to one hundred
~ to count 20 dimes to 2 dollars
~ to count by 10s to 200
~ to construct from paper the quantity 200 using tens

 Cyrus loves playing with the Geo board, or as he says "musical instrument".
(The reason it seems we covered so much is because we did a lesson last Friday to help refresh our minds before Spring Break ended.)

In Science we...
 Covered the concepts of energy, making things go.  I'm going to determine over the weekend whether or not we need to spend more time on this topic before we move on.  Admittedly I was pretty apprehensive approaching the subject of energy.  It was really hard not to 'over talk' the subject, or to make the principles too complex.  I am really proud of the work she is doing, and I continue to LOVE this program.  Love it.

 In Art Study we...
 Explored Edward VI as a Child, by Hans Holbein the Younger.  This painting had a much different impression on me than it did Ava, for many reasons.  Socially I found it fascinating.  The the obvious wealth of this young prince in all of his gold, and the means that went into his conception.  (Also I watched a few seasons of The Tutors a few years ago which added a whole new level of interest.)  Ava on the other hand saw a little boy wearing a grown up costume, and didn't understand why the mama would want him dressed like that, or how his hat stayed on.  Good point Ava.



It was a great week back at school, easing back into our rhythms.  It was a little tricky staying on task when NO ONE wanted to be indoors, so we shuffled things around quite a bit.  I'm still hoping to fit in the Rice Crispy Treats that I plan on calling "Fluffy Lambs and Bunnies" so I can justify making them by saying its on theme...

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

What a full and rich week! Makes me happy just to see it.

leaner said...

Love reading these posts. Gwennie asked me if she can "get home schooled like Ava". How cute.

Um, you don't need an "excuse" to make rice krispie treats silly.

Beth said...

Dear Amanda,

What a beautiful homeschool you have created. I would have loved it when I was little! I love the little glimpse which I got of your art table, with its many colorful daubs of paint. Tell me how you create such beautiful photographs! They are sublime. love, Beth

About Me

My photo
East Bay, California, United States
I am a thirty something mother of three. Hoping to raise my little ones to love the the slower things in life.