Apr 22, 2011

X Week Wrap Up....

This week in our school we....

Learned the letter X...
This is the last consonant and the end of Explode the Code Primer series!!!  Next week we'll review X, Q, and Z, and the week after we'll start Explode the Code book 1.  This is very exciting news, let me tell you.


In Poetry we...
Spent another week reading the Song of the Yellow Deadnettle Fairy.  She shares her poem with X.  As this week finished Ava was able to recite our poem of the month, quite a challenge, as it's a bit longer than she is used to.

Our theme for the week...
Was Easter! (of course)  We read the Easter books that we had in our house this week.  The Tale of Peter Rabbit (classic), Peter Rabbit's Happy Easter (clever sequel, different author), Corduroy's Easter Party (sweet), Peter Cottontail's Busy Day (fun), Easter is Here! (simple).  Admittedly, some of our books on the subject are pretty fluffy silly,  however, even my sophisticated Ava enjoys a lift the flap book.  In our home Easter is a time to celebrate the renewal of Spring in all her glory, so time spent outside enjoying the warm before it turns to (unbearable) hot is VERY important.   The options with an Easter theme are endless.  Like most things on my to do list this season we skipped my structured ideas, and opted instead to explore our outdoor spaces.  (reason #78 why homeschool is so great)  We checked out the local homeschool group that meets at the park once a week.  This was a very important step for our family.  I think its great for Ava to see that there are other families out there, making choices like ours!




In Science we...
Expanded our awareness of the concepts of energy.  We had an activity that lead us to understand the terms kinetic energy, and potential energy.  Ava asked me "are you sure this is science, because I am pretty sure this is just playing games!"  Perfect.

In Math we..
~Started working the concept of the commutative property, that order does not matter for adding
~Started to count by 5s
~ Reviewed 1s and 10s
~Used commutative property for adding 1+ a number
~Added to our graph, started last week

In Art Study we...
Explored The Oddie Children, by Sir William Beechey.  Ava really liked this painting.  She summarized that the girl with the blue ribbon is "watching the Spring grow, and I like to watch the Spring grow, and the sun set."





This was a great week.  Its nice to be in our garden again, and everyday there is something new to see.  We are really loving popsicle season!  I highly recommend this book, for some original, healthy ideas. Would you believe that I honestly didn't know that Easter is this weekend?  I thought it was next weekend, and I had all the time in the world.  Yup.  So... I'm off to decorate some eggs now.  More on that later!

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

What a lovely, rich week.

Beth said...

I would have enjoyed going to your school!

About Me

My photo
East Bay, California, United States
I am a thirty something mother of three. Hoping to raise my little ones to love the the slower things in life.