Dec 16, 2010

Making Playdough...

Is there anything better than soft homemade playdough?  (Maybe playdough with peppermint extract added, but that could just be my obsession with all things mint.)  Our refrigerator usually has a few different colors, (and scents) of playdough ready to go.  We've found that using a recipe with oil, and cream of tartar, like this one, can result in playdough that lasts up to 6 months, or longer. We store it in plastic bags to keep it soft.



Mix together the dry ingredients..


 In a saucepan heat the wet ingredients.
Careful not to get too hot, you will be sticking your hands in this soon.


 Mix in the dry ingredients..


It will look really wrong at first.  That's normal.


Move to a board to kneed...


Work in any 'clumps' until smooth...


 Like I said, we store ours in plastic in the refrigerator.  This batch we put in a pretty tin to use as a gift for some friends of ours.


1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. water
2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. food coloring

I usually follow all recipes loosely
(read: I screw up the measurements)
I know from experience that this recipe is very forgiving.
(Like lets say you accidentally add two table spoons of Cream of Tartar instead of two tea spoons.  For example.)
I also want to highly recommend adding scents to your dough.  
Lemon, vanilla, mint, almond extract.
Tea tree, lavender, cedar, or basil oil. 
What ever you have on hand.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

leaner said...

FUN! I think this may be something to do with the girls during winter break. :)

betsy said...

I think it sounds like so much fun!! I want to do it tonight!! I will try and wait for the break!

April said...

Sometimes instead of using food coloring I will add a packet of koolaid which not only adds color but a scent as well.

cmp said...

Home made play dough is the best! I have great memories of mom making it. By the way, I love all the fun things you do with your kiddos that you post about! :)

Anonymous said...

I made some "space play dough" yesterday by adding some glitter to your recipe. It worked out great! I've always used a no cook method using kool-aid packets for our homemade play dough, but it never lasts very long, and end up being sticky (even gooey) after a few weeks. I have high hopes for your recipe though. The texture was perfect!

http://petalsandsunshine.blogspot.com/2011/03/they-thought-it-was-out-of-this-world.html

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Bay, California, United States
I am a thirty something mother of three. Hoping to raise my little ones to love the the slower things in life.