May 28, 2010

Friday's Nature Table...

In the evenings, after Matt gets home from work, he and the babies go outside to harvest what we need for that nights dinner.

Its a beautiful, joyful, and peaceful ritual that I am grateful for.  Very grateful for.  I was looking at these pictures I had taken and I noticed something...
My swiss chard is Out of Control.   So Sunday it was time I faced the madness.  I harvested armful after armful of the beautiful rainbow chard, with an equally beautiful helper...

How many times have I used the word 'beautiful' in this post?  Not enough.  This stuff is so so so pretty!
And so is she!  It did seem just a little bit less beautiful a few hours into my cleaning, chopping, blanching, and bagging for the freezer...  But come later this summer, when our garden can no longer contain my beautiful rainbow,  I'll be so glad for all the work.
And grateful for my beautiful helper too!

For the record... I bagged 9lbs of chard.  Used the word beautiful 8 times, and the word grateful 4 times.

Thank you to The Magic Onions for bringing us together every Friday....

12 comments:

Anne said...

Wow! Your rainbow chard look amazing mine didn't grow that big.

I love the look of it with it beautiful colours in the vegie patch...:)

Cheryl said...

They are both beautiful. I love the rainbow colours. Our rainbow chard is more like a single droplet at the moment. We are at the two leaves stage.

Anonymous said...

I love your garden. The chard really is beautiful. Enjoy dinner!

Amanda said...

Thank you ladies! The chard grew much larger than we expected (we're novice) but it probably helps that it was planted last fall. Having mild winters means we have a much different growing season here in AZ. We have to schedule around our summers, like most people do around their heavy winters. There are a few plants that make it through the heat. We are still figuring it all out!

TwigandToadstool said...

Beautiful garden you have there...you all must have splendidly green thumbs! I came to visit via the Magic Onions...love your blog!
Maureen

arianne said...

That is beautiful.

Tanya Murray said...

I LOVE coloured chard. We let it self seed every year and harvest loads for us and lots for the chooks. I loved your pictures.

softearthart said...

You have been busy, hi from New Zealand Cheers Marie

Amanda Pedro said...

It looks yummy. i didn't know there was rainbow chard. I guess we have a different variety?
thanks for stopping by my blog.

hands follow heart said...

Oh, My! What a lush garden!!! Amazing looking rainbow chard. I bet they taste delicious too.

Leanne said...

Yum yum yum! It is beautiful and one of my favourite garden harvests...though this year I am sadly missing it. So glad I can enjoy watching you with yours.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful children you have, little boy reminds me of mine. I know about the chard I had so much of it growing as well as basil and arugula, they grow wild in tropical countries. Good luck with your birth, i had both my babies at home and hoping for a third one in the near future

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
East Bay, California, United States
I am a thirty something mother of three. Hoping to raise my little ones to love the the slower things in life.