May 27, 2011

Weekly Wrap Up...

This week in our school we...

 Learned the letter I (honestly, Ava is going through this book so fast that the whole 'letter a week thing is not very realistic)

In poetry we...

read the Song of the Iris Fairy.  I liked that she was yellow and wild, not the traditional purple that is so common in grocery store bouquets.  This week Ava is able to correct any errors I make while reading our poem of the month(This is not a teaching technique, I just stumble a lot with this one for some reason.)


Our theme of the week ...
is Butterflies!  How perfectly timed is it that our very own supply of caterpillars arrived in the mail this weekend? (that Easter Bunny is so clever)  We read a few books about butterflies, some of them we've read before, but it was worth reading them again.  ~Fabulous Fluttering Tropical Butterflies, by Dorothy Patent, ~Monarch Butterfly, by Gail Gibbons, ~Monarch Butterflies Up Close, by Carmen Bredeson, and Monarch and the Milkweed, by Helen Frost.

Ava has been very excited looking at, and adding to our calender this week.  She's a planner.  She even wrote a little story about it!

The park has been a really wonderful addition to our weekly routine!


In Science we...
This week we set aside BFSU and focused on our caterpillars!  Ava has named them all.  Rosemary, Snapdragon, Petunia, and Lavender.  Perfect.


In Math we...
~Learned the traditional names for 11 and 12 (and a bit of etymology as well)
~Made a little book to reinforce the value of teens
~Focused on counting by 5s with traditional names
~Experienced the consecutive numbering around a clock
~Begin to learn the position of the hour numbers on a clock
~Learn the term hour hand, and minute hand
~Learn the position of the hour numbers on a clock


We added an analog clock to our kitchen, and it has caused quite a stir.  I can only imagine this is what getting a gaming system would be like for other families.  Oh the hours of fun.


In Art Study we...

Explored The Old Stagecoach, by Jonathan Eastman Johnson.  Ava thought the kids looked like they were having a really good time, but she wasn't interested in joining them.  "that doesn't seem like my kind of fun.  I like to look for fairies, not climb on old broken things."  Ya, that sounds about right.



This wrap up is actually from a few weeks ago.  I fell behind when blogger was down for a few days.  I need to catch up, as I plan on using the Weekly Wrap Ups as a guide when it comes time to go through kindergarten with my boys!   I have two more to add before I'm caught up.  Yikes!

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

I love your beautiful weeks and I feel like it is a treat that we are getting a couple this week!

Anonymous said...

You are such a good teacher! I would have loved to homeschool.

Anonymous said...

Oh-BTW, previous post is from me! Love ya-Steph : )

About Me

My photo
East Bay, California, United States
I am a thirty something mother of three. Hoping to raise my little ones to love the the slower things in life.