Jul 24, 2012

Wet Felting Bees...

Recently, inspired to work with wool, my children and I set out to make a bee hive, and a family of bees.  We worked over several days, and my babies love their results.  

Day One:
Working with the wool that we dyed yellow years ago, we made little bee bodies.

Day Two:
Using more of the yellow, and adding white, and orange, we wrapped a "hive" around large softballs.  We wet felted those down, nice and tight.

Day Three:
Bee finishing day!   This step involved needle felting.  This was a VERY big deal in our house.  This day marked the first time any of my children have ever needle felted anything.  They were thrilled.  Thrilled.

 And later:
Our hives are kept on our nature table when not in play, are still loved, if not a little worse for wear, and used often.

And I love, as they do, that they made this all on their own.  Handmade toys are nothing new in our home, but handmade by them, and for them, that's something extra special.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
East Bay, California, United States
I am a thirty something mother of three. Hoping to raise my little ones to love the the slower things in life.