May 24, 2012

USGS Open House

The USGS in Menlo Park holds an open house every three years.  We were so very very fortunate that we were able to attend.  Being new to California we have loads of questions about earth quake preparedness, and our new natural environment, the open house provided us with the experts we needed! 

Each area had a stamping station to add to the trading cards passed out at the entrances.  They had stations set up for
~Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Water Science, Paleomagnetism, Rock and Mineral, Marine Geology, Biology, Maps and Mapping, and California Geological Survey.
 We've talked a lot about microscopes, but this was the first time we've actually been able to try one out.
 
A local prospectors club set up a gold mining activity.  My children LOVED this.  I see a gold mining camping trip in our future.
 Ava actually found some gold.  It's hard to see, but it's the bright yellow spots.

 This is a section of the very large map showing the Hayward Fault line (in yellow) our neighborhood is roughly where I put that little black and white flower thing. (above Ava's head) The Hayward Fault is described as "one of North America’s most dangerous earthquake faults."  Super.  I'm hoping that the big hill in between will keep us insulated.  Not every seismologist and geologist that I shared my theory with seemed to agree.  What do they know.
 The San Fransisco Zoo brought a adult female Bald Eagle.  She was so majestic.

 I had no idea that the stamps were going to be so popular.  This was probably their absolute favorite thing.


 We learned a lot.  We brought a lot of information home.  We had a really great day.


No comments:

About Me

My photo
East Bay, California, United States
I am a thirty something mother of three. Hoping to raise my little ones to love the the slower things in life.